Thursday, February 19, 2009

AND THE BEAT GOES ON

Well we finally did it, Snow birding. We left for Quartzsite on Tuesday January 13th. We weren’t sure we were going to get the Montana off the mountain because of ice on the road. We made it! We drove to Hawthorne NV and spent the night at a Love’s truck stop in between all the Semi’s at 20 degrees. Needless to say we froze and got very little sleep. We continued on to Las Vegas to visit Chad, Jen, and Timmy (their Yorkie). We had dinner with Chad and Jen at a Mexican restaurant. That night we stayed at Sam’s Town RV Park. We left for Quartzsite the next morning arriving in the dark but still early evening Thursday January 15th. On Friday we went to a New Christie Minstrels concert.
I guess apologies are in order. When starting this blog I only did it to keep friends and family up to date as we traveled. Roxanne on the other hand believes I have committed to a life long journal. Hmmmmm I'll try but I'm not enthused. I need to be in the mood (I finally get it) I'm going to do my best to get Roxy to write some. Onward. We went to Quartzsite to hang out with the gray hairs. We had a GREAT time. You that really know me accept that I am a hermit. I have been perfectly happy to enjoy my solitude on my mountain for the last 30+ years. Our closest friends have been through our church. So we show up in Quartzsite and there was a circle a thousand feet around with 36 trailer spots. Our next door neighbor had a powered hang glider and he took a picture of the circle.
We met a few of the people last year at our first outing with the trailer. Everyone was new to us and the weekend was short. Everyone was friendly but there was so much to do and so little time to really get to do much more than be just acquainted. At Quartzsite it was totally different. Everyone was relaxed, friendly, and looking for a fun time. A couple of people remembered us. I recognized a couple of faces but didn't remember their names. I'm going to work on that. I'm thinking Scotch every night at the nightly campfire is going to help. Whatever, the chemistry was such that I believe lifetime friendships were made. There is so much experience to draw from. Robbie an official "Boon Docker is a guy that has "everything" down to a science. He has ALL the goodies. From a stand alone ice maker to a freezer to ALL the solar power he needs to run everything including high speed internet just about everywhere he goes. Another fellow, Dave told stories and jokes around the campfire. Activities in Quartzsite included the worlds largest RV show, Craft show, Car show, Rock & Gem show, Flea markets as far as the eye could see. I was in heaven. A new friend Jim took me under his wing and showed me how GeoCaching worked. Roxanne got together with several of the ladies and picked up a new hobby, beading. Posted here is a bracelet called a soup bracelet. One day we went to Los Algodonas Mexico. We bought stained glass windows for our entry door. Don't have a picture of ours but one I admired of a lighthouse is posted here. Many of the folks in "The Circle" had a kind of flagpole with a windsock. I had to have one. A heavy-duty 26-foot fiberglass pole with several windsocks. Picture posted of my trailer with pole and windsock. Each evening we were treated to a breathtaking Arizona sunset. Makes ya wanna cry huh? Well maybe not but if I can pick up a camera and snap a picture like the one posted here you KNOW that being there in person was humbling and so much more! Thank you Jesus!
Even Maddy found a new friend in CC a Chinese Powder Puff. CC's Mom & Dad Dick and Jackie showed us how "Full Timers" live on the road.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                This is CC Maddy’s new friend. CC is a Chinese Powder Puff. CC’s Mom & Dad are Dick & Jackie Driver.


                                                                                                                                                                          Maddy keeping an eye out for intruders or one of her new friends made at Quartzsite.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our Trailer sporting her new flag pole. We now have 2 fish a twirly thingy and an American flag.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


A quiet evening, a glass of wine, the perfect subset. If this is Retirement I think I like it!
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Roxy’s first soup bracelet.
 



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Dick and Jackie Driver’s new stained glass window from Algodonas, Mexico.








                                                                                         Tyson Wells is just one of hundreds of Flea Markets in Quartzsite Arizona. They say that if you need something for your RV and you can’t find it in Quartzsite it doesn’t exist!
 








                                                                  The “Circle” FAMOUS among the Montana Owners Club. You know you can double click on any of these pictures to get a better view? They say the town of Quartzsite grows from a population of 3500 to over 3 MILLION in January.









                                          This guy took several pictures of our circle from above.. He was a next door neighbor. He is known by our group as a SOB. That stands for “Some Other Brand” of RV other than a Montana 5th Wheel Trailer. Nice guy and we really appreciated him doing us the favor of taking our picture. It sure makes it easier to explain what we mean by “Our Circle”.
So there you have it a month in Quartzsite. When Roxanne and I left the circle there was only one trailer left. I guess that says it all. Did we have a good time? YOU BET!

No comments: