Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Taking a break

Monday August 2, 2009 found us at home scanning the forest behind the house for smoke. It looks like the fire is under control and a quick call to the Plumas Fire Dispatch confirmed that the fire is under control. So much so that the firefighters went home Sunday night and planned on returning Monday morning. With medium to heavy winds expected on Tuesday the dispatcher said the “crew” planned on working extra hard to finish mopping up.
We decided to leave the stick trailer for Paradise California where we would visit with Don and Joy Carr.

DSC03728

We met Don and Joy for the first time at the Rogue River. Joy and Roxanne hit it off right away. Both being interested in beading they began spending time together making stuff. Don Carr Is a retired Contractor and is working at retiring. I guess that means it’s hard to simply walk away when there is always work to be done.
We arrived Monday evening at 5:15 PM
Don helped me get the trailer set up, The girls started making plans to BEAD!
DSC03740

Before our arrival, Don had been installing a tile floor. Don took some time and finished the last few tiles and then he grouted the floor. When completed it was beautiful. Don made it look easy. I learned a lot. It’s neat to watch a professionals work. It looks so easy.

Delta Stand

Along the way Don showed me his Miter Box Stand for his miter box saw. I decided I had to have one. Roxanne started singing Happy Birthday to me and bought it for me at Lowes. Ain’t it BEAUTIFUL?

DSC03700

Don and I went scouting for a good gold prospecting place. This is one of the places we looked at.We stopped and had lunch here.Next time I will spend some time prospecting.

DSC03726

Sunday morning we had brunch at Feather Falls Casino. Afterward we went to Oroville Dam.  Oroville Dam is on the Feather River above the city of Oroville. Lake Oroville, generates electricity, and provides drinking and irrigation water for Central and Southern California. Oroville Dam is the tallest dam in the United States and is within the top twenty dams in the world for dam height and volume of dam materials. It is an earth-fill dam and I am 770 feet from the bottom as I take this picture.

DSC03712

The Honey Run covered bridge, on Honey Run Road. The bridge crosses Butte Creek and intersects with Centerville Road. The bridge was open to traffic until a car crashed into it in 1965, causing damage to the bridge. An alternative steel bridge was built upstream for vehicular traffic; this old bridge is part of a county park.

DSC03713

Don takes a picture of Honey Run Bridge while standing on the new bridge.

DSC03750

DSC03752

Well ever since Roxanne started beading, I have bugged her to make Maddy a beaded collar. She finally did it.

DSC03736

The Carr home in Paradise California.

DSC03731

The Carr trailer behind my truck & trailer.

Well there you have it. One week Monday thru Monday. 8/3 – 8/10. I was a little worried that we stayed a little too long but we kept doing stuff and having a good time. Most importantly, they kept feeding me!  We have made plans to travel with the Carr's to the Oregon Coast in late August providing we can work around doctor appointments. Thank you Carr’s, we had a super time!

The Carr’s are planning on going to Quartzsite in January. Sometime between now and then they are coming to Milford. Seems to me Don is a little thin. I’ll get Roxy to fatten him up while they are here.

Next Stop? Oregon Coast. See ya there.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Roxanne,
Maddy's "bling" looks wonderful! She's definitely styling with her new beaded color!!
Kathy Webb

Kathy said...

Oops, I meant "collar"! Why isnt' spell check on Blogger?! LOL
Kathy